Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I want a Barack Obama rookie card

When I was younger, I loved collecting sports cards. I remember how exciting it was to open a pack and seeing a gem inside such as a numbered LeBron James rookie card or an autographed Moses Malone throwback.

I know what I want now. I want a Barack Obama rookie card.

Topps recently released its 2008 Baseball card series which includes an insert series called Campaign 2008 featuring 12 U.S. presidential candidates. From the Dems there are Hillary Clinton, Obama, John Edwards, Joseph Biden, Bill Richardson and Dennis Kucinich. The Republicans have John McCain, Mitt Romney, Fred Thompson, Ron Paul, Rudy Giuliani and Mike Huckabee.

Unfortunately, fans of Chris Dodd, Mike Gravel and Duncan Hunter are out of luck.
But that’s not all. Upper Deck is coming out with a Presidential Predictors insert set featured in its 2008 baseball Series I. The nine, I mean, eight-card set showcases illustrated parallels between candidates and baseball moments such as Al Gore and George Bush and the phantom tag Chuck Knoblauch planted on Jose Offerman in the ‘99 ALCS.

Hillary Clinton’s comparison to Morganna “The Kissing Bandit” Roberts was pulled for its controversial depiction. Though some have surfaced and one even sold for $1,375 on eBay.
This leads me to wonder, why doesn’t someone create a government trading card series?

Think of the potential ideas. Debate-worn suit cards featuring samples of suits the candidates wore at specific debates. A series called “Bushisms,” showcasing some of Dubya’s greatest quotes. Numbered inserts featuring autographs of former political figures. Who wouldn’t want a limited edition Strom Thurmond?

The possibilities are endless.

No comments: