Wednesday, August 22, 2007

'Dungeons and Dragons' for football fanatics

My level nine Tom Brady will destroy your level seven Jaguars defense.

Alright, so it's not exactly quite like “DnD,” but fantasy football is a game for football geeks.

Just my kind of game.

Here at the Sentinel, we've already completed our draft. With only four people playing, our teams are incredibly stacked. (My biggest problem is deciding who starts in the two running back positions with Steven Jackson, Shaun Alexander, Laurence Maroney, Ronnie Brown and Brandon Jacobs on the roster).

The league I'm concerned about is the 12-man one, which I'm playing my third season in. We run a 2qb, 2rb, 3wr, 1 flex, 1te, 1k, 1def system – though it might change to a 1qb, 2 flex league with the latest additions. This year we decided on turning it into a keeper league with each team allowed up to three players to carry over into this season – just as long as they were drafted after the eighth round or they were an undrafted free agency pickup. In return, we lose a draft pick three rounds higher than they were drafted at (someone who was picked up in the 11th round last year takes the 8th round slot this year).

Luckily, I picked up several key players last year due to late season injuries. My three keepers are undrafted New York Giants RB Jacobs, who takes over Tiki Barber's starting slot this year; undrafted Tennessee Titans QB Vince Young – and yeah, I know about the Madden curse – who has the physical tools to have a breakout season; and Philadelphia Eagles WR Reggie Brown, who should be Donovan McNabb's No. 1 target this year.

And all I gave up for them were my 12th through 14th picks.

The hardest person to pass on was Dallas RB Marion Barber. Fourteen touchdowns on the ground and two in the air last year gave me crazy points. Now, I know some of you are saying that I'm crazy on taking Brown or Young instead of Barber, but I have a few good reasons for this:

1)Our league weights receptions slightly higher

2)Brown becomes McNabb's No. 1 target with the departure of Donte' Stallworth

3)Young could have Vick-esque numbers this year

4)I have the No. 2 pick in the draft

Now assuming LaDainian Tomlinson is chosen first (he'd obviously be my pick if he drops to No. 2), this means I have St. Louis' RB Jackson for my pick. Jackson could potentially pick up 1,000-plus yards rushing and receiving. Last year he picked up more than 2,300 yards of total offense and that number should go up this year. Kansas City's RB Larry Johnson would be a safe pick too, but with the loss of LT Will Shields, it's going to be more difficult for him to duplicate the same numbers.

Plus, I hate the Chiefs.

That gives me two high-end running backs, a solid wide receiver and a quarterback who has the potential to explode this year.

We do a serpentine-style draft, so my second pick won't be until No. 23. There are so many options, but I'm leaning toward a top-tier wide receiver such as St. Louis WR Torry Holt, Arizona WR Larry Fitzgerald or Indy WR Reggie Wayne. And then I'd pick up another quarterback, perhaps New Orlean's Drew Brees or New England's Tom Brady.

Maybe I'll even go after Michael Vick.

...

Probably not.

I'll post an update of my draft results Monday.

No comments: