Monday, September 14, 2009

Joe vs. the Tijuana Mama

I figure now that I'm over my flu from last week, I test my might against a staple our local gas station has to offer: The Tijuana Mama.

For those who are unaware, the Tijuana Mama is a packaged pickled sausage commonly found in gas stations and truck stops. It also touts itself to be "300% Hotter" — we're assuming it means hotter than the "Hot Mama," but it doesn't specify it anyway on the label.

From a glance, it appears to be a super-thick, but shorter version of the Slim Jim, albeit there's a pocket of redish-orange oil at one end of the packaging. The ingredients are an amalgam of chicken, pork and beef mixed in with a variety of sodium-based additives and food coloring.

I won't lie – at this point I am beginning to regret my decision to buy this.

The first bite wasn't what I expected it to be. It's much softer than I had anticipated. The pickled flavor carries a stronger taste than I expected. The spiciness of the Tijuana Mama grows stronger with subsequent bites, but it's a welcome one, numbing the salty, meat-like flavors I'm ingesting.

It's unlike anything I've ever eaten before. The consistency is like a big, mushy Slim Jim, but the taste is unique all its own: a battle between overpowering pickled and spicy flavors with salty undertones.

No comments: