Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Fighting fat: week 13


Starting weight: 176 lbs. (BMI: 26.4 – overweight)
Nov. 20 weigh-in: 164 (BMI: 24.6 – normal)
Days worked out in week 11: four

Ugh. This has not been a good week for exercise.

My right shoulder is slightly tweaked so I've been holding back from doing much with it. It doesn't feel like anything serious and it's almost back to normal, but I'm not taking any chances. I had a rotator cuff injury in August 2006 that put me out of commission for about six months – it was the worst injury I can remember having.

But with Thanksgiving coming up, and a four-day weekend, I'm planning on training like an Olympian.

And get some much needed sleep.

I'm a little surprised that I dropped some weight this week. My upper-body routines haven't been as rigorous with my shoulder.

Nov. 27 weigh-in: 162 (24.3 – normal)
Days worked out in week 12: four

I figured I should go against the flow over Thanksgiving weekend by losing three pounds. That's right, on Monday morning I weighed in at 161 pounds.

I gained a pound back yesterday, but that's a good thing. Three pounds a week at this point is a little much for me.

The extended weekend meant plenty of sleep and time to heal my shoulder. I held back from heavy upper-body routines such as the bench press, and worked on my auxiliary muscles instead.

I also tried yoga for the first time – good stuff, I may try it again sometime.

But with my goal of 160 within reach, I can't let up. I started doing heavier routines again and I'm back on my protein shakes. I know muscle is heavier than fat, but I still have some flab to take off.

No comments: