Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Fighting fat, week three



Starting weight: 176 lbs. (BMI: 26.4 – overweight)
Sept. 18 morning weigh-in: 171 lbs. (BMI: 25.6 – overweight)
Days worked out during week two: four

I've hit the halfway point to my goal of 166 by Oct. 11, but I'm a little heavier than I planned on being. I only lost a pound in the last week, but that's due to my minor food gorging and lack of exercise this past weekend. I'm a little surprised that I actually lost weight this week, but I'm not complaining.

My cardio stamina is returning. I had to do an abbreviated 15-minute warm-up last night and it felt easy. I didn't feel any strain, but I do know I have a ways to go. My leg strength is coming back quickly – I'm pushing as much as I could before in everything with the exception of leg lifts. But in time, my quads will return. Upper-body-wise my arms, back and shoulders are getting stronger. My chest has hit a wall, but it usually does every so often. I'm not worried.

I've tweaked my diet. Before, I was eating a burrito for breakfast, a moderate lunch and then a protein shake for dinner. To increase my body's metabolism, I've broken the burrito into two meals. Half at 10:30 a.m., half at 2 p.m. and then a moderate dinner at 5 p.m. Then I have a protein shake before hitting the gym. It feels much better when I'm just content at work than full.

When I dropped down to 153 pounds four years ago, I was eating 6-10 meals a day – with each meal being about 200 to 300 calories. Ideally this is what I should do to lose weight. Think of it as compounding interest – getting one interest period for a year gets you an additional amount of money, but the more periods that are added, the more money you'll make. (Trust me, I was almost a math minor). Maybe I'll turn my burrito into three meals, and have two small dinners next week before a protein shake before the gym. Six meals of about 300 calories each.

Hmm – 1,800 calories. I may have to increase my food intake. We'll see.

In recap, I have three weeks and two days to drop five pounds. My goal for next Tuesday is to be about 168 pounds.

No comments: