Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Gym etiquette

I've learned that there are certain gym etiquettes that I have to abide by:

There are the ones that are courteous:
  • Put away the weights when you're done with them
  • Wipe down machines after you use them – no one wants to work out in your sweat
  • If someone's on a machine you'd like to use, ask if you could “work in” with them
  • Help spot people if they ask
  • Go in the right direction on the track
After years of working out, I have a number of rules that I'd like to add.

Don't spit on the ground
This seems like common sense to me, but every so often I catch someone doing it. I don't care if you spit in a corner – that's where I stretch. I don't want to stretch my quads while standing in a pile of your mucus.

Don't sit at benches or machines doing nothing
Since I work out late at night, I don't know how often I find some person sitting at a machine waiting for their friend or spouse to finish changing. I want to lift and I shouldn't have to ask you to move.

No groupies
This interesting phenomenon occurs during the spring. There's usually two teenage guys who work out and a flock of teenage girls who hang around them taking up space. The girls are ridiculously annoying. They giggle and laugh and take up all the benches. Why? Because they need a place to sit and chat.

Don't wander naked into the pool area
OK, this only happened once – I went for a swim when an older woman walked out topless. It wasn't something that I wanted to see at 8 a.m. (Granted I may have not minded as much if she were attractive, but that's beside the point)

Don't walk on the treadmills
This is just an annoying observation. Why walk on a treadmill when you could walk in the park or around the track upstairs?

There are more and I'll remember them when I go to the gym tonight.

1 comment:

Aaron Cole said...

Don't lie ... you like the sweat.