Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remembering 9/11

Sept. 11, 2001 – it's a date that will remain etched in the minds of Americans for years to come.

I was a freshman art major at CU-Boulder when it happened. It was the third week of school and I was beginning to get used to my daily routine in the dorms.

I woke up early that morning to grab some breakfast with my friend Bryant. I messaged him via AOL Instant Messenger and he told me he would meet me in a few minutes. After 10 minutes, he didn't show up, so I walked up to his room. I saw him mesmorized by something on TV. The second plane had hit the south tower of the World Trade Center.

Thoughts of breakfast dissapated as we watched these surreal events unravel on his television. This wasn't supposed to happen in the U.S. This wasn't supposed to happen to us.

When a third plane crashed into the Pentagon, my thoughts shifted to my family in nearby Virginia. It was a scary time and the only emotion that hit me was confusion.

For the next few days, there was a solemn mood on campus. Everyone was coping in their own ways. Some with anger, some with sadness, some with humor, some with occupying their time by keeping busy.

I went to a candlelight vigil that Thursday night at the fountains of the UMC. Students told stories and expressed sorrow, but the one thing that was etched in my mind was the guy who carried a large U.S. flag across his shoulder. He didn't have anything to say, but his image said it all.

We were still here.

No comments: